[CAUT] Removing jack stop rail

maxpiano maxpiano at sc.rr.com
Thu Nov 6 17:28:53 PST 2008

I've been servicing pianos over a period of 50+ years but have never had to remove a jack stop rail until now.  Are the long, thin mounting screws threaded one direction the whole length?  Or are they as I seem to recall, like a turnbuckle, left thread on one end, right on the other?

One of the institutions I service has a Knight studio (1963 vintage) that, instead of felt on the jack stop rail had something akin to sponge rubber, that has disintegrated making a mess and causing clicks as the jacks hit the rail.  I assume I can get the rail out but want to be sure I can get it back in properly regulated after cleaning and gluing felt on.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bill Maxim, RPT