[CAUT] VS Profelt

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Nov 6 14:37:45 PST 2008

	A couple words of caution might be in order. This is not a "magic
formula." The swelling of the felt ("re-fluffing" it) is due to the
action of water content in the formula. The alcohol in the formula
helps the water penetrate. In use for action centers, this is
precisely the same as using a formula of water and alcohol, except
that we don't know the proportions in VS Profelt (and the Profelt has
some lubrication function - but the bigger result will be due to
"shrinking of felt" as in simply applying a formula of alcohol and
water).
	This is not meant to discourage the use of Profelt, simply to urge
that it be used "with eyes wide open." I do realize that it is
different from just alcohol and water in that it has a lubricant, and
apparently some kind of conditioner. Silicone lubricant is probably
effective and probably has no negative side effects in this
application. Whatever may be used as a conditioner may possibly have
side effects in some situations.
	Re-swelling of felt in itself is a reversal of the packing due to
wear. However, it can be overdone. Felted cloths, especially bushing
cloth, have been made dense with considerable trouble, processing
including heat and pressure. It is quite possible to "over-reverse"
and end up with a felt that is less dense than it was originally.
Using cauls for key bushings is a somewhat effective way of preventing
this. For wippen cushions and the like, cauls aren't an option.
	Personally, I find the use of heat and pressure (a clothes iron or
heated cauls) is a good way to try to keep the felt in a firmly packed
condition (which means the regulation will be more stable).
	One thing that re-swelling felt doesn't do is reverse wear. Fibers
that have been broken down and worn away are gone. Lubrication of new
materials and parts is the best way to have long lasting parts. In
fact, that is one of the claims of VS Profelt: use it on new felt so
that its lubrication properties will prolong life and improve
function. It may be effective in that way. I will find out when I try
some. Meanwhile, I put my money on powdered teflon and other, more
concentrated lubricants.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico