[CAUT] Teflon AND verdigris?

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 19:22:52 PST 2008

The reason I have been trying the cleaner is because cleanliness is the
real first step in lubrication. Cleaning removes contamination. In felt
there are an incredible amount of possible contamination. Even the dyes used
can be corrosive if not washed properly before use. I think Joe Goss changed
his Goose juice formula for some reason of verdigris. He should be asked. He
know a lot about the lubes.
For the teflon, the spray cleaner should be ideal. It won't harm plastic so
I doubt teflon would be hurt. Check it out. You can buy it at Automotive
stores. It removes all the oils and dust and there is no residue or anything
left. The bushing is as dry as can possibly be. The wood is clean and dry.
The reaming process now won't recontaminate. I didn't have any bushings come
out when reaming the felt ones. I took the flange apart. Blasted the
bushings. Reamed lightly with a size smaller manino reamer. It sure cut the
felt nicer. No gummy feel. No crud to be cleaned off the tool.  Drove in new
pin. Lubed with a drop of the center pin lube to protect the fresh cleaned
surfaces. There probably isn't any Lanolin left in the felt either.

Ballistol is a vegetable oil product. I don't want to put vegetable oil on a
piano. It travels, collects dust and dries up getting gummy eventually. It
needs solvents to keep it spreadable

Keith Roberts