[CAUT] Teflon AND verdigris?

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 5 15:37:35 PST 2008

I believe the verdigris is actually copper oxide. It is green, and is
from the center pin, which is partly copper. As to why some oxidize
more than others, well there "oxidizers" out there. There's always
oxygen, but some compounds accelerate the reaction. Besides the
contaminant gumming up, the pin's surface corrodes and is less smooth.

Based on that, I'd think that simply repinning with a new pin should
take care of the problem. Yes, there may be residual from whatever
substance (lubricant???) was applied, but the Teflon is pretty much
completely inert. And very stable, chemically. Short of temperatures
in excess of 500 degrees F. And it should take quite a while to
develop new verdigris (copper oxide) from a small amount of residue.
I suppose that if you want to be thorough, you could ream for the
next size pin whether the bird's-eye needs it or not. New Teflon
surface plus new center pin would minimize any tendency to corrode.
But I wouldn't think it would make much difference unless your
atmosphere is more corrosive than average. (Think acid rain...)

Doug

Doug Wood
School of Music
University of Washington