[CAUT] Grand Truck brace

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 19 19:48:54 MDT 2008

Regarding the brace that Dale P. described, I had an occasion to install one on a truck that was over 30 years old.  The problem was to correct excessive bowing up in the middle which was keeping the newly replaced casters from swiveling properly and the piano was difficult to move.

  After a lot of trial and error and some discussion with Dale I put together a brace (see attached pictures) composed of 1/2" pipe, a pipe floor flange, 1 foot of 1/2" all thread, 2 nuts and a washer and a piece of pinblock material to recieve the all thread.  The pipe is approximately 14" in length.  The entire assembly is painted flat black and is really not noticeable under the piano.  It  is placed between the stop sign and one of the beams of the piano.

  I adjusted it to length and then tightened the two nuts against one another to keep it in place.  I originally designed it with screw holes in the pinblock material with the thought of screwing it to the post but the compression between the truck and the piano has held it in place for over two years without moving.

  Side benefit:  A bowed truck becomes a giant spring on which the piano bounces= loss of power.  Installed brace= no bounce gain in power.

  Not all trucks are as bowed and may not benefit in noticeable improved tone but in this case the result was quite noticeable.

  Norman Cantrell