[CAUT] Steinway school info

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon May 5 08:13:42 MDT 2008

Hi Chris,
	You might be surprised about raising money. A case in point from UNM:
a guy who had been a violin student at UNM but changed to math. Became
a math teacher at a university (some other state), but kept up his
interest in music, performing as section violinist in regional
orchestras and doing chamber music. He got interested in collecting
instruments, and ended up with a "matching" string quartet. In his
80s, he decided to donate them, and approached our music department,
because of fond feelings about his violin prof. We had been in the
process of dedicating our rehearsal hall to the memory of this prof,
so maybe he heard about that, and it got him thinking.
	So for the last ten years, we have had a graduate string quartet
(they get to use the instruments, and get a scholarship), underwritten
by him, and he is (now in his 90s) finishing paperwork to endow
$500,000 in scholarships for string students. All from a very
unassuming guy who doesn't have children and wants to do something
meaningful with what is probably the accumulation of TIAA/CREF
retirement account money.
	The point being that you don't have to have a BIll Gates among your
alums to raise substantial sums of money. But it does take some effort
and communication.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico