[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Thu May 1 20:58:59 MDT 2008

 The B is one of my designs. At least the original was. When built well -- which
was seldom, if ever, the case -- it was a decent little piano. The undercut bass
bridge is one way of coupling the vibrating energy from the strings to the
soundboard in an area with just a bit more mobility than it would have had if
the bridge contact were right up next to the inner rim. It takes the place of a
cantilever by moving the contact point of the bridge out away from the inner rim
without introducing the rock and roll motion of the cantilever. Did it work?
Well, yes, for the most part -- keeping in mind that the piano also has a
laminated soundboard that is just a bit too thick for that area. Everything is a
compromise. The low bass performance is certainly better than it was with a
cantilevered bass bridge. (Yes, I tried both.)

Could it be done differently with still better results? Perhaps. Were I doing
another piano of that size I'd now do it differently. If you've taken one of my
all-day seminars recently you might have a CAD drawing of how I would have done
a piano of that size in the late 1990s. It's on the last page or so of the
hand-out. And I've moved on a bit since then.

This stuff has its greatest value in small and very small pianos. These --
assuming even moderately sensible design -- are the only pianos where the
cantilever shows up. With very few exceptions the backscale in larger pianos
(say from 200 cm on up) is long enough, and the bridge contact point is far
enough away from the inner rim, that cantilevers are not used. Even in the 185
cm to 200 cm range where cantilevers were used in the original design they can
be dispensed directly without much, if any, major surgery.

It's from there down that the problem of the ever-shorter backscale begins to
significantly impede bridge motion and low bass tone performance. But even here
everything is relative. If the backscale length in the low bass averages, say,
100 mm, making it 20 mm longer will give the low bass a noticeable, but probably
not dramatic, increase in clarity and pitch definition. After all, you're only
making the backscale length 20% longer. And the low bass performance should
already have been at least reasonable.

Increasing the backscale length from 25 mm to 50 mm, however, is a 100%
increase. And decreasing the cantilever overhang by even that much will
substantially improve its energy coupling efficiency. The combination will give
you a dramatic improvement in low bass clarity and pitch definition. Even
considering that we have made the speaking length of the string 25 mm shorter.
Most pianos in the 150 cm range will have an A-1 speaking length of around 1,100
mm (give or take some). Making this 1.075 mm, or about 2.3% shorter. I doubt
anyone could hear any tonal difference that could be attributed to this amount
of change in length. Will this piano end up with a great sounding bass? No,
probably not. But it will be a whole lot less bad than the original.

There are a whole lot of pianos out there in the 150 cm to 180 cm range that
have low bass backscales in the 25 mm to 40 mm range. (Remember, it's the
effective backscale length we're talking about. Not the physical distance from
the back bridge pin to the c/l of the hitch.) Most of these pianos have
extremely short backscales and their bridges are all mounted firmly on a floppy
and lossy cantilever. In my opinion they can all be given a more
pleasant-sounding low bass by lengthening out that backscale and shortening up,
or removing entirely, that cantilever.

ddf