[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu May 1 18:51:46 MDT 2008

The answers to Alan's question I have read don't really deal with the
topic: an especially short scale instrument. On the topic, I happened
today to see a Baldwin grand from around 1995, I think it said model B
with a number after it, not something I had ever seen. It was a 4' 11"
or so, and had a bass bridge without apron or cantilever, and the bass
end almost touched the plate, but was undercut for the lowest eight
unisons (not contacting the soundboard). I guess that is one way to do
something or combination of things. It did have accujust pins so that
probably helped matters. Not too bad a sound. Not too great either,
but it could have used some voicing, so maybe there was potential.
	But to Alan's question, there does seem to be a tradeoff when you get
to a really foreshortened scale. Would the sound really be better if
you foreshortened the scale more in order to lose the cantilever? (No
argument about changing to German loops - that's likely to be an
unquestionable improvement). It seems like a tradeoff between what the
string is producing and how the soundboard is transmitting, and if the
input from the string is bad enough, the better transmission isn't
going to make for a better overall sound. That's just pure "logical
thinking based on limited experience in related matters." Could be
dead wrong, but I think what Alan wanted was experience in this realm
of the mini-scale, and I haven't seen it addressed: will the bridge
change with the corresponding shorter scaling be capable of a better
overall sound, worth the trouble?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico