[CAUT] School Politics (Re: LSU SOM position)

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jun 28 17:04:40 MDT 2008

I agree Ed.  And I'd most certainly distance myself from the you cant
make a living take voiced. You most certainly can, and a decent one at
that. BUT... you wont if you take on a job for wages that are near
poverty levels.  You can say no.  And you can only accept a CAUT
position that pays decent enough to consider.  And if more did exactly
this then perhaps the comparative low level of beginning piano tech
skills some universities seem to think is all they need would eventually
catch up with them.

In the mean time... highly qualified techs can make a decent buck
running their own buisness for what it really takes to clean up the
inevitable mess. And the few universities that see fit to pay their
techs at least a decent wage would start gaining a rep for having a
reasonably good instrument maintenance department and be able to sell
themselves to prospective students easier.  A very good goal for a CAUT
tech is to get their Universities to see the advantage of being able to
sell them selves to students as a school that provides them with well
kept instruments.

Cheers
RicB

    Getting it done is our job in life. We each need to find the way and
    the place where we can get it done.

    Please let us not forget that there are many people on this list who
    enjoy CAUT work. Full-time, part-time, or contract, it is possible
    to enjoy this
    work.

    Shawn, working in a college can be a great way to hone your skills,
    post-school. Maybe for a year, maybe for a lifetime.

    Ed Sutton  (Small-time, contract CAUT, and enjoying it.)