[CAUT] Which S&S replacement action parts?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jun 28 07:15:56 MDT 2008

I find the best method for getting precise and stable pinning is to
vigorously swing the hammer assembly while holding the flange after pinning.
That means you pin slightly tight and then with the flange held between your
thumb and index finger swing the hammer vigorously through it's entire
rotation at least 10-12 times.  You first experiment with different sized
reamers to determine just how tight the pin should be right after you insert
the center pin.  Swinging the hammer will polish the bushing felt (and maybe
heat it up a bit) and take off that last bit of excess friction without
leaving the pinning loose.  After that the friction seems to be relatively
stable.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com