[CAUT] U of GA.

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jun 27 16:01:46 MDT 2008

I think you're on to something Ric.  How else are the money pockets going
to get the hint????  OK everyone.. apply for every job that comes up.
Express your salary requirements and let's see what happens...  It might
open some eyes on the top of the wallet chain.  It can only help all of us
in the long run..  Hey.  What if somebody takes you up on it?????????????
$100,000/year with benefits would be sweet!!!

OK...I'm back from dreamland.

Paul

Richard Brekne <ricb at pianostemmer.no>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
06/27/2008 04:49 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
[CAUT]  U of GA.

The real kicker is that for this kind of job situation, and the real
responsibilities that are involved... at least if the school is even
half minded serious about music education... the technician that makes
100.000 on his own should be being offered double plus bennies to get
him/her to take care of .... literally everyone and everything.

Perhaps a strategy we should start employing is that when a University
job listing gets posted we all send in an application stating our quals
etc.... AND a minimum wage requirement of say 150.000 USD a year plus
full insurance package.  If a University gets say 50 such responses when
posting a job maybe they will get a bit of a reality check as to what it
will take to seduce a truly good enough tech from his/her private
practice.... just a thought.

Cheers
RicB

    Re: [CAUT] U of GA.The sadness of it all is that I know of another
    position at another school that pays less than this!  It was posted
    here on CAUT about a month ago.  It is for a third technician at a
    school up north.  I have no shame in telling everyone that I'm
    putting in for a lot of these CAUT jobs.  But this job up north...
    It pays less than GA, and the technician who's in  charge told me
    that he is mostly trying to look for applicants who have gone
    through the Masters program in Florida.  Keep in mind I don't know a
    technician who's gone through that program, so I can't speak for
    them.  It seems like a needle in a haystack situation though.  Can
    you get someone from a masters program to work for $30000?  Someone
    who you just want to use to tune practice rooms...  Needless to say,
    because of the pay and the duties I am no longer interested in that
    opportunity.  Perhaps someone is, but I don't know who.  I got in to
    this business because I found it to be interesting, challenging and
    a lot of fun.  The facts are, I made a good living before I became a
    technician and can only downgrade so much!  On the other hand...  A
    University which I wanted to work for turned me down with out a
    tryout or interview.  My 5 years experience, a certificate from a 2
    year accredited institution in Piano Technology, being an RPT,
    having lots of concert experience was just not enough for them.
    This is after not having a full time technician for more than 2
    years.  Needless to say I'm told that the pianos are in quite a
    state of disrepair.  They posted the job 3 times and could not get
    anyone they wanted.  They are going after the technicians that make
    $100000 per year.  They want to get one of them and pay them
    $50000.  I can't believe that one of those folks will take a pay cut
    of half, or stick around for vary long.  The facts are you probably
    wont get as many years out of a person who's in their 50s/60s as you
    will a person who's mid 20s say.  That's not to say that age should
    be a factor in employment, its just that if you can only keep a
    technician for 5 years, you should take a look at why.  I know I
    don't want to work as much when or if I reach 60.  Maybe its just me
    though?
    Shawn Brock, RPT