[CAUT] U of GA.

Wigent, Donald E, Jr WIGENTD at ecu.edu
Fri Jun 27 08:15:50 MDT 2008

Hay Shawn,  I side with you.

Don Wigent

________________________________

From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Shawn Brock
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 10:07 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] U of GA.

The sadness of it all is that I know of another position at another
school that pays less than this!  It was posted here on CAUT about a
month ago.  It is for a third technician at a school up north.  I have
no shame in telling everyone that I'm putting in for a lot of these CAUT
jobs.  But this job up north...  It pays less than GA, and the
technician who's in  charge told me that he is mostly trying to look for
applicants who have gone through the Masters program in Florida.  Keep
in mind I don't know a technician who's gone through that program, so I
can't speak for them.  It seems like a needle in a haystack situation
though.  Can you get someone from a masters program to work for $30000?
Someone who you just want to use to tune practice rooms...  Needless to
say, because of the pay and the duties I am no longer interested in that
opportunity.  Perhaps someone is, but I don't know who.  I got in to
this business because I found it to be interesting, challenging and a
lot of fun.  The facts are, I made a good living before I became a
technician and can only downgrade so much!  On the other hand...  A
University which I wanted to work for turned me down with out a tryout
or interview.  My 5 years experience, a certificate from a 2 year
accredited institution in Piano Technology, being an RPT, having lots of
concert experience was just not enough for them.  This is after not
having a full time technician for more than 2 years.  Needless to say
I'm told that the pianos are in quite a state of disrepair.  They posted
the job 3 times and could not get anyone they wanted.  They are going
after the technicians that make $100000 per year.  They want to get one
of them and pay them $50000.  I can't believe that one of those folks
will take a pay cut of half, or stick around for vary long.  The facts
are you probably wont get as many years out of a person who's in their
50s/60s as you will a person who's mid 20s say.  That's not to say that
age should be a factor in employment, its just that if you can only keep
a technician for 5 years, you should take a look at why.  I know I don't
want to work as much when or if I reach 60.  Maybe its just me though?

Shawn Brock, RPT