[CAUT] piano moving stuff

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Thu Jun 26 21:32:13 MDT 2008

Chris and list,

                My two cents are to get or make a piano horse. I’ve not seen
anything else that is even close to the “do no damage” idea. I use one
fairly regularly in the moving portion of my business. The only other thing
I have done before purchasing the “horse” was to take the bass corner down
to the floor by hand. That has trouble too on pianos where the side of the
keybed uses a piece of trim work. You can also dent the corner on pianos
with softer wood. I’ve not heard anyone mention that the corners of the lyre
also get dented wood when using the lyre to rock the piano down. I’ve also
not heard about the possibility, however slim, of the keybed flexing and
allowing the drop screws to be driven into the underside of the Pinblock if
they were close to begin with. Personally I will NEVER use the lyre as a
fulcrum. It simply wasn’t designed for that. It hangs not supports!

Greg Newell

Greg's Piano Forté

www.gregspianoforte.com

216-226-3791 (office)