[CAUT] String Scale for a Steinway O Curved bass bridge

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jun 26 19:45:47 MDT 2008

Not so much a matter of improvement (though there may be room for that),
it's more a matter of consistency.  One problem is that Steinway will not
share with you the "design specs". In other words, they won't give you the
speaking lengths by design, at least they wouldn't when I asked them not too
long ago.  So you end up assuming that the gauges given conform to the
design specs and that those design specs from 1910 are the same as the
current model.  I've seen model Os with note 88 at 46 mms and also at 52
mms.  While the tension differences for a change of 6 mms are much more
pronounced in the high treble than the low tenor, it does give you some
indication of the variability.  Too many unknowns there for me.  If you are
unable to make an analysis of the scale yourself or can't hire someone then
you just have to go on faith.  It might work out fine, but it would be
better to know for sure and at least eliminate one factor in the final
voicing.  When you run the scales from existing pianos you do see some
strange things in terms of tension, break point, impedance and inharmonicity
curves.  Enough to make one wonder just what the intent actually was.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com