[CAUT] Louisiana State SOM Position

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jun 25 15:26:26 MDT 2008

Doug,

Do you work 80 hours/week?  Does UW approve of this?  how can you keep up
with all those pianos at UW??  Where's your family time?  I realize that
you have another tech on the job, but, man, how do you do it?

pw

Douglas Wood <dew2 at u.washington.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
06/25/2008 04:06 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Louisiana State SOM Position

I'd like to add a few words. I still have a private business that brings
in several times the amount the University currently pays. When I took on
the position, I asked my tax person--a CPA "enrolled", who specializes is
small businesses--about how to compare business income and salary. As has
been pointed out here, it is not a simple matter. But he said it was
actually a very good comparison to look at the "adjusted gross income"
figure, bottom line, first page of the 1040, to compare with the stated
salary of the position. After mulling it over the last 5 years, I have to
agree with him.

Unfortunately, it confirms that the salaries are more often than not an
insult to our profession. What to do about that is a subject for another
post.

But I will say that I have taken the position, and remain in it for a long
list of reasons. If any one of them changed in a significant way, I would
most likely resign, and go back to spending less time at work for more
money.

The biggest single source of lack of power in this institution is the fear
about being able to get health insurance. Not its cost, its availability.
I do hope that we will wake up to the reality that our system is failing
us very badly and do something about it.

Doug