[CAUT] Position Opening at the University of South Carolina

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jun 13 09:59:55 MDT 2008

Same situation for me Scott.  Although my pay ain't so big, the peace of
mind is worth something!  Also, Jeff, how did they compensate you for all
that overtime?  I'm not really "allowed" to work over 40 hours per week.
When I have to work weekends and evenings, I just get to leave early on
other days.  We don't get paid for OT, but get 1.5 hours of comp time for
each OT hour worked.  It has to be pre-approved as well, which sometimes
is applied for when turning in my time sheet! Sometimes, I just don't
know, or get the dreaded "suprise" tuning at the end of the week.

Paul

"Scott E. Thile" <scott.thile at murraystate.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
06/12/2008 05:44 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

"'College and University Technicians'" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Position Opening at the University of South Carolina

Wow, that sounds very close to my situation here too, Jeff... My take home
is about the same... We do have tuition waivers equivalent to 6 classes a
year for the immediate family, which helps a little.

I just signed a one year contract for the same pay I had last year. We are
going to get a one time $400 check in July instead of a cost of living or
merit pay raise this year. Obviously, the cost of living increase (mostly
food and gas) has caused that to be a significant pay cut this year.
Thankfully, I live about 2 miles from school.

The state of KY has cut higher ed funding across the board, and it's a
miracle no salary lines are being cut here. All in all, I think we're
doing pretty well compared to what a lot of people are facing, or are
about to face. I think it's going to be a rough season for a lot of folks
in this country.

While I'd rather have it a little easier, and make a little more, this is
still a lot better for me... In terms of private sector work. I did that
full time for 17 years before I took this position. No insurance, and no
retirement (I kept having to wipe that out), and I worked much harder. My
gross income was great, my net was certainly no better than I make now,
and I had nothing for the future, and thank God none of us were facing
major medical expenses. If I were still self employed, we'd either be
completely broke, or very very sick and in a lot of pain!

All the best in your new endeavors, Jeff. I hope and pray things go well.

Scott