[CAUT] Position Opening at the University of South Carolina

Scott E. Thile scott.thile at murraystate.edu
Thu Jun 12 16:33:13 MDT 2008

Wow, that sounds very close to my situation here too, Jeff... My take home
is about the same... We do have tuition waivers equivalent to 6 classes a
year for the immediate family, which helps a little.

I just signed a one year contract for the same pay I had last year. We are
going to get a one time $400 check in July instead of a cost of living or
merit pay raise this year. Obviously, the cost of living increase (mostly
food and gas) has caused that to be a significant pay cut this year.
Thankfully, I live about 2 miles from school.

The state of KY has cut higher ed funding across the board, and it's a
miracle no salary lines are being cut here. All in all, I think we're doing
pretty well compared to what a lot of people are facing, or are about to
face. I think it's going to be a rough season for a lot of folks in this
country.

While I'd rather have it a little easier, and make a little more, this is
still a lot better for me... In terms of private sector work. I did that
full time for 17 years before I took this position. No insurance, and no
retirement (I kept having to wipe that out), and I worked much harder. My
gross income was great, my net was certainly no better than I make now, and
I had nothing for the future, and thank God none of us were facing major
medical expenses. If I were still self employed, we'd either be completely
broke, or very very sick and in a lot of pain!

All the best in your new endeavors, Jeff. I hope and pray things go well.

Scott