[CAUT] Working for other departments

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Fri Jun 13 08:27:43 MDT 2008

When I was the tech at SUNY Fredonia, the president and  his wife were very
big patrons of the arts.  She hosted many  soirees featuring faculty and
visiting artists as well as stellar student  performers.  It was considered an honor
and a privilege to be on her  invitation list, and I often was.  She brought
her 6' 4" Knabe, to the  mansion when they arrived.  She loved the piano and
the performers were OK  with it.  It was understood (read "commanded") that her
piano was to be  considered part of my workload, otherwise she would just
commandeer an S&S  'B' from the School of Music, which piano had been assigned to
the mansion  previously.  All of this made great sense from many community
relations  perspectives.

Eventually, she decided it was time to overhaul the action of her  Knabe.
She proposed, and my boss agreed, that I would do the  project as part of my
duties; she would pay for the parts.  The piano  went from "OK" to "very
satisfying" and she became an even  bigger supporter of the School of Music.
Everybody won.  (And in  a couple of years, she and her husband went on their way, as
college presidents  do, with a nicely spiffed up piano, courtesy of SUNY.)

There was the usual array of pianos on campus beyond the School of  Music.
These were not my responsibility, and some of those I never  saw.  Others came
under my care occasionally when they were used for SOM  performances.  This
also applied to a few other pianos around town, in  churches, etc.  For a while
the SOM found itself short of recital venues  and with a decent concert grand
to spare.  This piano was moved to the  Lutheran church across the street from
the campus; very nice acoustics and  ambience.  It became a favorite for
student recitals - and of course the  church was free to use the piano for its own
needs.  Another win-win  situation.

Fortunately, I had a very good working relationship with the SOM and the
college.  I was always involved in the discussions leading to these  'deals'.  It
really pays to nurture healthy relationships at all levels of  the musical
community!

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com

346 Camp  Street
Barre, VT 05641
(802) 476-7072

In a message dated 6/12/2008 12:31:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,