[CAUT] Parts Mark up

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 11:14:49 MDT 2008

Dear Steve, and Colleagues -

Staff technicians, whether full-time or part-time employees, should  consider
it part of their responsibility to obtain parts and materials for the
employing institution at the lowest cost to the institution.  Then the  institution
purchases the parts directly from the supplier, and the tech is then  serving
as (or assisting) the institution's purchasing agent.  And that's  the
cleanest way to do things.

If the tech is working as a vendor to the institution, he is selling  both
his time/expertise and the parts and materials.  He should  'mark-up' the
supplies as is the usual practice in his or her business.   Remember that supplying
parts is one of several 'profit centers' in the  business.  (When you get your
car serviced, you usually pay a mark-up on  the oil filter, part of the
garage's profit.  If the garage sells the parts  to you at their cost - which a
very few very small shops still do - it has  to increase the labor charge
accordingly to achieve its profit target.)   My preference is to be uniform in my
mark-up practices, same mark-up for  all clients.  Too hard for me to keep track
of various levels of preferred  customers.  And besides, almost all of my
clients would rate as 'preferred'  in one way or another!

An ethical dilemma, or conflict of interest, occurs only when the tech is  an
employee and a vendor.  Most government  institutions (e.g., state
universities) and larger private institutions have  regulations prohibiting or limiting
this duality.  In such cases the tech  should engage in supplying such parts
only under a separate contract or purchase  order within the applicable rules
of the institution.  If in doubt about  this, seek guidance from the purchasing
department.

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com

346 Camp  Street
Barre, VT 05641
(802) 476-7072

In a message dated 6/11/2008 12:11:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,