[CAUT] sostenuto history - Montal

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Jul 28 13:58:00 MDT 2008

	For any interested, I got a copy of Claude Montal's book (an early
predecessor of Braid White's Piano Tuning and Allied Arts, one might
say, perhaps the first attempt to lay out the practical principles of
piano tuning and repair), and it was published in 1836 (not 1856 as
reported in my last post), and says nothing about a sostenuto pedal.
Further research at Groves on-line (a major music encyclopedia)
reveals that Montal exhibited a sostenuto system in 1862 in London.
And the same article names three others who had supposedly come up
with devices along the same lines prior to Montal. So there you have
it, the inception of the sostenuto pedal, which probably would have
disappeared along with the bassoon and sourdine pedals and the like
had it not been for Steinway adopting it. FWIW.
	Montal's book is fascinating. He was writing before the time of the
double escapement, when the single escapement was what you found on
better pianos, and yet what he has to say seems so familiar in so many
ways. The profession has come a long way, but remains to a large
degree precisely the same as it was 150 years ago.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu