[CAUT] existing pinblock prep

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Jul 26 16:19:24 MDT 2008

On Jul 26, 2008, at 4:40 AM, Jon Page wrote:

> What speeds up the process is the configuration of your dummy pin.
>
> I cut the pin off about 1/4" below the becket hole, this allows you to
> keep the dummy fixed into the crank making for fewer items to pick up.
> I keep this as a dedicated tool.
>
> I also cut up into the hole to allow the coil to slide off the pin.

Hi Jon,
	I made a cut off tuning pin with a slot (anything to get away from
that floor tile job in our bedroom. with tiles far too hard to cut,
and frustration mounting), and found that I obviously wouldn't be able
to use my normal cranking technique: just hold the pin between
(leather covered) thumb and index finger. No leverage. So it needs
something to support that stubby end of pin (I made my stubby end a
little longer than what's in your picture, but not that much longer).
I made such an animal out of a little piece of maple (easier to do
than metal) with a hole drilled the right diameter for the pin to
rotate in it, but wonder if you have a different method that might
work better.
	I do like sliding a coil off the dummy. A lot faster than prying off.
It's a little different getting the end of the wire to be stable in
the slot in the pin, while making the first becket bend, but with a
little extra attention not a real problem.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu