[CAUT] existing pinblock prep

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Jul 26 04:40:30 MDT 2008

What speeds up the process is the configuration of your dummy pin.

I cut the pin off about 1/4" below the becket hole, this allows you to
keep the dummy fixed into the crank making for fewer items to pick up.
I keep this as a dedicated tool.

I also cut up into the hole to allow the coil to slide off the pin. This works
great for treble wire but bass strings, heavier gage wire, needs to have
the coil expanded. One method is to pry the becket out against the
dummy pin. Another method is to turn the crank slightly in reverse direction
to loosen the coil and slip it off the pin, then grip the top coil with pliers
to swing the becket out in order to easily transfer to the piano. It's
been a while but I think the second method was preferred.

This is also where the Becket Tool shines. In the photo, the ink line
near the end is what is indexed to the top of the pin. Normally, the
end of the gage is placed at the pin hole. Produces regimented beckets.
--

Regards,

Jon Page