[CAUT] l. o. punchings: recondition or replace?

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Fri Jul 25 19:11:46 MDT 2008

Thanks!

Alan Eder

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
To: College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 5:47 pm
Subject: Re: [CAUT] l. o. punchings: recondition or replace?

Hi Alan,
    I iron new letoff punching felts, too. They have a fuzzy surface, and I think the regulation takes a while to stabilize if you don't iron it down. Which may be a source of the notion you need to set letoff at 1/8" to avoid blocking.

   With old felts. it depends on the condition. Sometimes there are caverns in the felt, and it's hard to get to a flat surface even with some judicious sanding. If that seems the case, I replace.

   My experience is that if I iron the punchings, regulating letoff goes much faster (when you make a slight turn, it actually affects the regulation the amount it should, and doesn't affect it in the opposite direction), and lasts better.

    BTW, I have begun applying teflon powder to the punchings after ironing, using a pipe cleaner, on the theory that there will be less actual wear of wool fibers, as opposed to packing of fibers. I also brush a wee bit of water on the punchings before ironing to make it more effective - the steam sets the fibers better than just heat.

  This takes lots less time to do than to write about. Probably a couple minutes tops, and saves time down the road.

Regards,

Fred Sturm

University of New Mexico

fssturm at unm.edu