[CAUT] l. o. punchings: recondition or replace?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jul 25 18:47:49 MDT 2008

Hi Alan,
	I iron new letoff punching felts, too. They have a fuzzy surface, and
I think the regulation takes a while to stabilize if you don't iron it
down. Which may be a source of the notion you need to set letoff at
1/8" to avoid blocking.
	With old felts. it depends on the condition. Sometimes there are
caverns in the felt, and it's hard to get to a flat surface even with
some judicious sanding. If that seems the case, I replace.
	My experience is that if I iron the punchings, regulating letoff goes
much faster (when you make a slight turn, it actually affects the
regulation the amount it should, and doesn't affect it in the opposite
direction), and lasts better.
	BTW, I have begun applying teflon powder to the punchings after
ironing, using a pipe cleaner, on the theory that there will be less
actual wear of wool fibers, as opposed to packing of fibers. I also
brush a wee bit of water on the punchings before ironing to make it
more effective - the steam sets the fibers better than just heat.
	This takes lots less time to do than to write about. Probably a
couple minutes tops, and saves time down the road.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu