[CAUT] HELP

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jul 25 16:39:07 MDT 2008

Hi all

I am in the midst of voicing our Badwin D with the new Ronsen-Wurzen
hammers.  After all I read I thought there would be not much to do with
them.  The soundboard is original (1956) so I had to laquer.... My big
mistake in the killer octave;  I thought I grabbed the acetone to put some
below the staple to help the fundamentals, but instead, grabbed the
lacquer!  After seeing what I had done, I quickly grabbed the acetone and
tried to dilute what I had done.  I'll check it out Sunday or Monday after
all has dried, but;  Have I ruined these hammers?!?!?

I thought the Ronsen's didn't need laquer and such.  I was disappointed
with the initial response.  Now, the bass is good with a 4:1 laquer
treatment on the lower shoulders--twice in the single strings, but the
killer octave area is really weak and tinny. I'm sure it's the soundboard,
but I can't afford to replace it til next summer.  The top end is nice and
the middle is so, so...

Please help!!  Can I remedy this for a year?

Paul