[CAUT] Piano purchases

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jul 25 06:58:42 MDT 2008

Tony,

I'm suprised the school did this.  Here at UNL, I am solely responsible
for selling old or making deals to buy new pianos.  We're buying a
Disklavier next week with university technology funds (not my budget!)  I
decided to trade in two older problematic Disklaviers.  I did consult the
Director and got his blessings.  Only piano faculty are involved in
purchasing concert or studio instruments.  I don't think they would get
involved with a practice room sale or purchase.

I know the director wants to buy a Hamburg D, once funding is available. I
hope I'm involved to be sure.  I've never been to Germany and would
definately want to pick it out!  I think Richard West went to New York to
pick out the last B purchases we did. We're way overdue for some new
pianos, buy my budget can't handle it.

How does your school budget this?  Do funds come out of your budget or
some special university funding?

Paul

"Graves, Tony J." <tjgraves at bsu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
07/25/2008 07:13 AM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] Piano purchases

List,
    This is a little vent session.  So this morning I get a email from out
pedagogy teacher saying they are getting a new Disklavier for the studio.
That was news to me! I didn't even know they were wanting one.  This is
the
second time this type of thing happened since I started.  The first was an
old CF Yamaha that the director decided to purchase from the IPR station
on
campus.  I evaluated it, but I was never asked if we should actually
purchase it.  Which they paid way to much  money for the old CF.
So I wrote a email to the director and politely stated that usually the
technician is involved with piano purchases or at least informed and that
would like to be involved with the process or at least informed in the
future.

--
Tony Graves RPT
Piano Technician