[CAUT] The new Mason & Hamlin

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Wed Jul 23 14:01:06 MDT 2008

They're Chinese made parts, I believe, although I thought the the
hammers were still Renner. Initially I was finding a lot of (very) loose
hammershank pinning, but that seems to have been corrected either at the
factory or with the OEM. The capstans are also anodized aluminum, are
lighter, and need no extra lubrication. The other problem I was seeing
was that of rep springs squeaking in the grubs - a problem that I've
also noticed on Tokiwa parts. If you raise all the hammers and slowly
depress the rep levers you will hear it if it's a problem.

Generally I'm finding that the regulation is coming through quite close,
although I did prep one just the other day where the rep spring tensions
were generally on the weak side.

- Mark Dierauf