[CAUT] steinway pedal plate screws

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 10:03:50 MDT 2008

Hi, David I. and David S., and Colleagues -

I took a look at the pedal plate on an 1889 Steinway, the oldest on the
premises at the moment.  (I figured if there were an oddball thread to be  found
it would be more likely the older the piano.)  I found that screws  anchoring
the pivot rod were garden-variety No. 8 32-thread x 1/2 inch flat head  machine
screws.  We have a box of these screws we keep on hand for the  occasional
replacement.

To David S.:  30-thread would be very odd indeed.  There is no  current or
recent (20th century) American, Canadian or British  standard thread at 30
pitch.  And that's why many thread guages skip  that pitch.  Metric threads don't
quite approximate that either.   I accidentally deleted your post on the topic,
but I recall you mentioned  measuring your screw diameter at something like
0.213 inch.  That would be  about right for a No. 12 screw, which should be 28
pitch in the fine-thread  series.

There would be no point in S&S using special threads for this  part.  Common
hardware is available to do the job and it would be  much more expensive to
have custom-made screws and custom-made taps,  etc.

Sidebar:  I have a very nice South Bend Precision Lathe that cuts 48
different thread pitches.  Conspicuously absent from that list is  30-pitch.

Another Sidebar:  It is not desirable to set these screws "gorilla  tight".
Notice that the pivot rod makes contact with the screw very much  off center
from the axis of the screw.  Using a screw this way would be  considered
abusive in some circles; it will cause the screw to break well below  the tension
needed to break a screw with concentric loading.  However,  tightening the screw
moderately snug is more than adequate to hold the pivot  rod.  It's another
example of an elegant mechanical design from  S&S!!

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com

346 Camp  Street
Barre, VT 05641
(802) 476-7072

I found one item in the archives on steinway pedal  plate machine screws.
Tapping is an option...but has anyone determined  what the thread per inch is?
 Or do I have to go figure it out  myself?...;-]   I can get the screws if I
buy the entire pedal  system...;-[

David  Ilvedson, RPTPacifica, CA 94044

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.