[CAUT] Forum format (was Re: Requirements forcontributing/posting; RPT status

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 11:09:40 MDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> Without trying to annoy anyone...;-]  Does anyone know if the NY Steinway
>> Sost system or the Hamburg Sost system came first?
>>

> I have no idea.
>

> Not that it makes any difference...I'm am trying to understand the logic
>> for the two different ideas.   Because the sostenuto is a pedal function, it
>> seems like the logical place for the sostenuto would be closely aligned with
>> the damper system.
>>

> That is the approach I consider to be logical as well.
>

> The NY system is closely aligned, but when the action is removed, there is
>> no connection...you can only work on the system with the action in place...
>>

> Exactly, which seems illogical to me. Looking through a class handout, "THE
> STEINWAY PATENTS", the sostenuto isn't mentioned, which seems odd to me
> considering that the pulsator is. If there were some clear and rational
> benefit to action mounted sostenuto brackets, It seems to me that the
> company producing them would be proud enough of them to want to show them
> off. The list membership sees a lot more different brands of piano than I
> do, so tell me, does any other manufacturer mount the brackets on the
> action? Have they ever? Good ideas that have been around a long time tend to
> be emulated in some form by others, as do perhaps less sterling ideas
> implemented in prestigious brands.
> Ron N

Hi David & Ron,

I have a fair bit of experience with asian, primarily Japanese and Korean
grands. It's been my observation that they do a pretty good job of copying
good ideas. I haven't seen any of their grands with the sustenuto brackets
in the action, even though they use the Steinway style action.
Furthermore I have 2 Boston pianos that I care for and neither of those has
the sustenuto brackets in the action and those, according to the plate
casting, are a Steinway design.

I currently have Ivers & Pond c.1909 and a 5'7" Baldwin c.1919 under varying
states of repair and neither boasts any sustenuto brackets in the actions.

Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com