[CAUT] Forum format (was Re: Requirements forcontributing/posting; RPT status

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jul 18 08:30:34 MDT 2008

> Without trying to annoy anyone...;-]  Does anyone know if the NY
> Steinway Sost system or the Hamburg Sost system came first?

I have no idea.

>Not that
> it makes any difference...I'm am trying to understand the logic for the
> two different ideas.   Because the sostenuto is a pedal function, it
> seems like the logical place for the sostenuto would be closely aligned
> with the damper system.

That is the approach I consider to be logical as well.

>The NY system is closely aligned, but when the
> action is removed, there is no connection...you can only work on the
> system with the action in place...

Exactly, which seems illogical to me. Looking through a class
handout, "THE STEINWAY PATENTS", the sostenuto isn't
mentioned, which seems odd to me considering that the pulsator
is. If there were some clear and rational benefit to action
mounted sostenuto brackets, It seems to me that the company
producing them would be proud enough of them to want to show
them off. The list membership sees a lot more different brands
of piano than I do, so tell me, does any other manufacturer
mount the brackets on the action? Have they ever? Good ideas
that have been around a long time tend to be emulated in some
form by others, as do perhaps less sterling ideas implemented
in prestigious brands.
Ron N