[CAUT] Forum format (was Re: Requirementsforcontributing/posting; RPT status

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jul 17 23:41:40 MDT 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 8:31 AM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> Piano technology doesn't always converge to the one-and-only best
> way to do something. I would hope that any compilation of list
> material would preserve and express the divergence of opinion in a
> fair manner. The Wiki process tends to move all material toward a
> consensus, and will be dominated by those who spend the most time
> working the process. I don't know if this will produce a good result
> in our field. Sometimes divergence is much more interesting.

Hi Ed,
	I certainly agree with these sentiments. I don't think we want to
take Wikipedia as a model for our "final product." There are certainly
a lot of issues to be resolved to create a format which retains the
diversity of opinion rather than pre-digesting it into some bland,
uncontroversial "common dogma."  I'm certainly no expert in it, but I
do believe that the wiki design has a lot to recommend it. There is
the underlying organizational scheme, with hierarchies of subject and
topic. There are embedded key words and phrases which serve to cross
reference from one article to others. And there is the ability to
harness the independent work of a large number of people, each
contributing as time and inspiration allow.
	I think it is time to take some action and see where it leads us.
With the full understanding that there are plenty of pitfalls, that
nobody (including ourselves) will be entirely satisfied with the
results, but confident that the process will be a rewarding one.
	It seems clear that there is a desire for easier access to material,
and that there is a lot of material in these lists that more or less
languishes in obscurity. Mining for nuggets seems like a good way to
start, especially if we can take advantage of the work a number of
people have already done in compiling their own personal archives.
	If there are enough people interested in plunging in, I am happy to
contribute as I can. If not, I have plenty of other projects calling me.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu