[CAUT] Forum format (was Re: Requirementsforcontributing/posting; RPT status

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 17 08:31:53 MDT 2008

Ron-

I'm not sure I understand what you're agreeing or disagreeing with.

I find the lists useful in their current form, but cumbersome as references.
Basically, one must invest the effort of following the lists in order to
learn from them. That seems like a pretty fair arrangement to me.

If they are distilled to only what can be confirmed as objective, provable
fact, a lot of good material will be lost.

Piano technology doesn't always converge to the one-and-only best way to do
something. I would hope that any compilation of list material would preserve
and express the divergence of opinion in a fair manner. The Wiki process
tends to move all material toward a consensus, and will be dominated by
those who spend the most time working the process. I don't know if this will
produce a good result in our field. Sometimes divergence is much more
interesting.

One possibility would be to compile all the posts by one writer (say, Newton
Hunt), and see if they constitute a coherent body of practice. [Steve
Brady's new book is one such coherent body of practice, well-organized,
edited and clearly Steve's approach to concert preparation.  But you have to
pay for it.]

If you want it to be free, the decisions will be made by whoever volunteers.
I suppose anyone who wants to try re-organizing the material in a useful way
should go ahead.

Ed Sutton