[CAUT] Requirements for contributing/posting; RPT status

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jul 14 14:34:19 MDT 2008

> Ron deletes entire
> categories of conversation based on, I'm guessing, the thread (notorious for
> not reflecting the actual conversation) or who is participating (pesky
> personalities?!) or ?????.

Not exactly entire categories, but when a thread centers on
tool cases (again), vehicles (again), hammer technique
(again), or isn't otherwise going anywhere interesting,
checking in on every tenth post or so is adequate to tell if
the posts in between are deletable without reading. For the
most part, I read 'em.

> But you have to do that in real time, each time.
> And don't get me started on searching through the archives (see previous
> parenthetical note). With a forum you'd post something about unequal
> temperaments in that thread of the tuning forum. If there wasn't a thread,
> you'd create one. Responses to your thread would come to your inbox. You
> want to find an answer to your tuning pin question, go to the rebuilders
> forum, see if there's a tuning pin thread. So where would you post something
> on "duplex noise?" Depends on your angle - could be voicing or rebuilding or
> maybe concert prep or maybe somewhere else. It still wouldn't necessarily be
> easy to find information. It's a complex subject, and any organization of
> the information will be complex too. But organize it we should, in some
> fashion. Yep, you might organize serendipity out, but not entirely.

Serendipity is already too scarce to give up so easily. I've
learned much more from discussions of subjects I hadn't
realized I was interested or deficient in than I have by
asking specific questions. These discussions have become more
sparse each year, and the pianotech and caut lists more and
more become crisis hotlines rather than educational discovery
resources. I waste more of my valuable time on even the
potential for education than most people I know, but it's what
keeps me interested. The best stuff is under the rocks the
others didn't stoop to turn over as they hurried past.

>There's good info buried in both CAUT and Pianotech, and
> some nonsense too. And both suffer the same problem of zero organization.

Kind of like life. In my experience, organization is possible
only when you have all the information already. Free range
information is often highly volatile, and is only organized at
the expense of loss of some of it, and the stuff that's least
organizable and most likely to be stripped in the process is
very often the most informative, if the hardest to grade.

But that's just my take.
Ron N