[CAUT] Thoughts on being a Guild member or "non-member."

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jul 12 14:55:06 MDT 2008

Don't agree Ed.  There are plenty of "hacks" who are RPTs and I know several
highly skilled techs who are not.  The "rules" don't really address quality
of work and are hardly reinforced.  Even "rules" governing ethical issues
are rarely brought to the fore probably because the criteria is ill defined.
It's just not a heavily regulated trade.  That being said, I'm all for
people joining and upgrading their status if they want to and would
encourage it.  But I've long gotten past the idea that credentials mean
competence or lack of them impugns it.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

Greetings,
  I have to take some issue with this.  I was a formally trained technician
with 20 years experience, a university account, and a dedicated clientele
which
included every Steinway Artist in the area, and I agreed to take the tests.

They didn't scare me.   It is a very simple set of tests and any
"self-respecting tuner/technician who has been in business for years" should
have been able
to pass them in an afternoon.   In the vast majority of instances that I
have
seen techs refuse to consider joining the Guild,  the real reason was fear
of
not being able to pass the tuning test, ( or that outmoded idea of not
helping your competition).
    I have seen a 50 year veteran of the trade who was the technician at the

local Steinway dealer.  He believed that Steinways sounded better without
half-size wire, that actions played better with 1/2" drop and springs that
would
throw the hammers off the jacks upon release, etc. He liked to weigh the off
at
2 1/4 oz.  He was regarded as a master of the piano.   I have seen absolute
charlatans maintain loyal clienteles,  so being considered "competent" by
customers doesn't mean anything to an organization that requires proof of
ability
before granting full status.
   The Guild, as an organization, has a set of rules.  We agree to abide by
them when we join.  If someone runs afoul of the rules, the consequences are

clear.  Attacking the rules for their inconvenience to violators will not
really
impress many of the members.  To do that, one must join and then work to
change the rules from within.
regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows
and the live music scene in your area - Check out TourTracker.com!<BR>
(http://www.tourtracker.com?NCID=aolmus00050000000112)</HTML>