[CAUT] Requirements for contributing/posting; RPT status

Alan Crane alan.crane at wichita.edu
Fri Jul 11 20:22:55 MDT 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008 08:30:04 pm Ron Nossaman wrote:
> I find it incredible that so many cauts don't read pianotech.
> Caut is a subset of piano technician, as is rebuilder. We're
> all working on the same instruments with the same problems.
> The difference is in the politics.

Not incredible at all, Ron.
There was a time when CAUTS (those that were on-line anyway) were the only
ones who read Pianotech since it was the original CAUT list.
It began as a shared set of e-mail addresses to which we all posted everything
in the days before listservers.  Danny L. Boone at Baylor was the one who got
me involved.
The only reason most we left one by one was that the volume of postings (and,
indeed, the volume of what amounted to chatter) increased to the point that
the time investment was too costly in terms of our workload and available
time.
If not for that, Pianotech would still be the CAUT list and we'd all still be
there.
I envy those who have the time to read Pianotech, almost as much as I envy
those who have time to read both lists.
Personally, though, the costs outweigh the benefits... politics
notwithstanding.

--
Regards,

Alan B. Crane, RPT