[CAUT] Thoughts on being a Guild member or "non-member."

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Jul 11 17:39:52 MDT 2008

Kendall:

Well, I'd have to say you feel strongly about this.  3,438 words!  Wow!
(and no, I didn't count them...that's what software is for.)

I'm responding to two of your messages all in one for economy of work
and bandwidth.  In your second email of the evening you said:

Is it really true that only RPT's with a current, paid up RPT
certification card should be allowed tune people's pianos? ;-) .

I admit,  I'm having a little trouble with this marketing concept. (-as
are some other technicians I know. Tell me it isn't so.)

I'm sure you were being facetious.  PTG can't regulate who tunes
anybody's piano.  PTG does say that "we have tested the people who are
RPTs and found they are competent to tune your piano.  The rest of the
world might also be competent, we just have no way to know."

I'm also sure that since you think PTG's method of determining who
should have the RPT credential is flawed, you have a better way.  You
didn't mention what that might be.  Lots of what it shouldn't be, but
not what it should be.

Should PTG go back to the good-old-boy days "he passed some tests at one
point so he's got to be good."  Organizations can't run on random, ad
hoc admissions policies.  Qualifications policies have to be clearly
delineated and uniformly executed or chaos results.  Along with that
chaos would come lawsuits from anyone who wasn't similarly credentialed
on past good deeds or good connections.

Kendall, your obvious intellect belies your illogical rant below.  PTG
is not being arrogant in setting policies and sticking with them.
That's the only way an organization of 4,000+ people can operate.  If
the policies are wrong, join and work to change them.

Your post below sounded like PTG should either loosen up the
credentialing criteria for everyone, or grant you an exception because
of who you are.  I really can't believe you meant either one.

Maybe I'm just 3,438 words confused.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu <mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>