[CAUT] solo grand move devise

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 11 15:55:10 MDT 2008

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Fred Sturm
  To: College and University Technicians
  Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 3:40 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] solo grand move devise

  Also takes up a LOT less storage space, which is a big consideration for me. And is probably lighter weight. One thing it doesn't do is take any stress off the back leg, which the piano horse may do a little bit because of having two "rockers." Or maybe it doesn't, I don't have the experience to tell.
  Regards,
  Fred Sturm
  University of New Mexico
  fssturm at unm.edu

You think?  I was actually thinking that your version might be a little more difficult to store and probably heavier than the Pianohorse (which is surprisingly lightweight), but that that would certainly be more than justified if you could make it out of free scrap lumber rather than spending $600 plus (still, it doesn't take many moves to pay for that).

I don't move a lot of grands, but I've probably used the Pianohorse at least 25 times over the last 3 or 4 years.  I can't see that the Pianohorse would take any stress off the back leg that any other method of laying a piano over would.  Yours would function identically in that regard.  The presence or absence of the "rockers" only makes the rollover more smooth than what you have would, while simultaneously serving the purpose of locking the spokes together.  But the spokes are similarly spaced to what you have there.

The biggest difference is in what holds the weight of the piano as it rolls over.  The Pianohorse uses the treble leg and you're employing a couple of small screws into the bottom of the keybed.

Have a nice weekend,
Jeff