[CAUT] Tuning Pin Questions, self adhesive nameboard felt

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jul 9 10:54:28 MDT 2008

Hi Dave,
	This sounds very strange. I have a 3-4 year old M at UNM, and it has
normal key bushings. I think that in manufacture of key buttons, they
tend to use a cloth with heat sensitive glue pre-applied, and then
heated cauls activate the glue. If there was a malfunction where the
cauls weren't hot enough, or not given enough time, maybe you'd get
something similar to what you describe, a cloth with a fairly thick
glue "backing" sitting in the key button mortise. Except that the
material would be felted cloth, not the nameboard stuff, which isn't
woven and isn't very dense.
	Could this be the case? I simply can't imagine any piano (or key
button) manufacturer using self adhesive nameboard felt in this
application. Well, I guess I can imagine it, but it seems pretty
unlikely.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico