[CAUT] Tuning Pin Questions - tapered pins

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 8 19:21:13 MDT 2008

Fred~

Yes, one of the things I have heard is that the threads increase the surface
area of the pin in contact with the sides of the hole in the pinblock.

Catherine Bielefeldt, in her "Wonders of the Piano" book, offers that bluing
contributes to the holding power of the pins because the oxidizing process
tends to make them "stickier".

In my experience, AMSCO pins, in their last years in business, were some of
the worst as far as tolerances. They would vary as much as .005 -on the same
pin! Plus they were often oval in cross-section. Nippon Denro pins were much
better machined, but still varied as much as .002" (or sometimes .003")
within a set, and .001 to .002" sometimes on a given pin. I hear from my
rebuilding friends that Diamond/Klinke pins have very fine tolerances,
within .001 or less. I think oval pins (in cross-section)  bother me the
most, and would probably be the most problemmatic over the long run.

Yes I agree that there are many factors involved in how pins hold and for
how long. And some rebuilders are penny-wise when it comes to buying the
most expensive pins, but pound foolish when it comes to pinblocks, either by
not getting good material, or by drilling it carelessly.

On the tapered pins - I have restrung a few pianos built around 1880 to 1900
or so that had tapered pins.

The pins, when I finally figured out how to measure them- (they seemed to
have a great variation in tolerance, until I realized they were tapered and
I that had not been consistent in where I measured them along the thread)
-were tapered along the entire length of the thread. An 1890 Hemme and Long
upright had I guess what you could call tapered #1/0 pins: they went from
.276 at the top end of the thread to .259 at the bottom, were blued pins,
and were 2 1/4 inches long. One of the things I decided was that putting a
parallel sided pin in a tapered hole was going to cause problems, it would
probably be super tight at the bottom end of the hole and relatively loose
at the top, and as I was restringing using the existing block, (old dry
wood) I hesitated at the thought of possibly splitting the pinblock out at
the bottom of the hole by driving a new oversize pin that would be okay for
the top of the hole but much too large for the bottom. Ultimately I think
what I did was drill the holes out with a parallel sided bit that just fit
the top of the hole (slightly under .276 - it seems even after extracting
the old pins the holes were still a bit smaller than the pins.) Then I used
new # 2 pins or # 3's, whichever felt the best.

Yes, you're right, it probably required a good deal of extra effort and
expense to drill tapered holes at the factory, so this was probably one of
the first operations to be eliminated in a cost-cutting effort. Tapered
holes would have had to have been drilled to exactly the right depth for the
tapered pins to fit properly, and I imagine this was not easy to achieve on
a consistent basis. I think that is one of the reasons I ultimately decided
to convert this piano to parallel sided holes and pins.

I wonder where Bosendorfer gets their tapered pins. And what technicians do
when they have to replace a Bosie pinblock? Would they have to get a tapered
bit from Bosendorfer? Or would they just convert to parallel sided holes and
pins?

~Kendall Ross Bean

PianoFinders
www.pianofinders.com <http://www.pianofinders.com/>