[CAUT] Tuning Pin Questions

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jul 8 13:22:19 MDT 2008

On Jul 8, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Ken Zahringer wrote:

> Bluing is actually a chemical treatment.  The steel is immersed in a
> water-based chemical solution at or near the boiling point.  The hot
> solution promotes the chemical reaction, but it isn’t hot enough for
> the heat itself to do anything to the steel.  Look athttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel)
>  for a good description of the process.
>
> There have been “cold blue” products on the market for some time.
> Gun owners commonly use them for touch-up.  As I understand it,
> these products produce the same chemical reaction on the surface as
> hot blue, just not as effectively since they operate at room
> temperature.  I always figured the pin blue stuff that Schaff sells
> was this sort of thing, but I have never used it.  I have no clue
> what the heck in on the nickel/blued thread pins.  That’s a color
> not found in nature.
>
> Regards,
> Ken Z.

Hi Ken,
	Thanks for the info and link! Seems like bluing is even less
important than I had thought, in terms of "functional utility" (I
thought it might add a bit of surface hardness as well as minor rust
resistance, though, come to think of it, the bluing scratches pretty
easily, so I should have known that was wrong). In any case, I would
say that none of the threads in the photos Kendall posted were blued.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu