[CAUT] Tuning Pin Questions

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Tue Jul 8 11:13:04 MDT 2008

Bluing is actually a chemical treatment.  The steel is immersed in a
water-based chemical solution at or near the boiling point.  The hot
solution promotes the chemical reaction, but it isn¹t hot enough for the
heat itself to do anything to the steel.  Look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel) for a good description of the
process.

There have been ³cold blue² products on the market for some time.  Gun
owners commonly use them for touch-up.  As I understand it, these products
produce the same chemical reaction on the surface as hot blue, just not as
effectively since they operate at room temperature.  I always figured the
pin blue stuff that Schaff sells was this sort of thing, but I have never
used it.  I have no clue what the heck in on the nickel/blued thread pins.
That¹s a color not found in nature.

Regards,
Ken Z.

         fssturm at unm.edu