[CAUT] a simple question

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Tue Jul 1 08:02:32 MDT 2008

Hello Paul,

I've found that you can work quite quickly when a suitable clearance
is chosen for the hammer bore hole to shank diameter. It is also
important to have the Titebond thickened so it sets up quickly.

I generally like about 4 to 5 thou hole clearance between the hammer
core and the shank. I also like to roll the shanks prior to drilling
the hammers, to make sure that they are all pretty much the same
diameter. Even with new shanks there will be quite a deal of
variation in the shank diameters. Knurling them will significantly
reduce this variation. I also have a separate container to hold the
Titebond we use for hammer hanging. I leave this with the lid off,
stirring it regularly until it reaches the viscosity I want for
hammer hanging. The combination of even shank diameters, appropriate
hammer drilling diameter and nice thick Titebond allows me to hang
one hammer, then check the one I've previously hung, to finalise its
burning angle, head angle, strike point and tail position. I believe
the alignment of the tails is just as important as the alignment of
the hammers to the strike line (or curve). If the tails are all over
the place it will result in significant hammer to hammer mass
variation once the tails are shaped. I like the tails sitting in a
nice line so that the tailing jig/disc sander takes the same amount
off each tail. This makes the final job of balancing the hammer-set a
much quicker operation (about 1.5 hours for me at this time).

An image of our tailing work and the spreadsheet that we use can be found at;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/kristieovers/hmrtail.jpg

An image of a balanced hammer set at the bass/treble cross can be found at;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/kristieovers/stmarysd9.jpg

The hammer in the foreground (D#19) was lightened 0.1 gram with the
2.5 mm hole in the core wood, while the hammer F21 has two lead wires
inserted (1.7 mm diameter) which increased the hammer weight by 0.4
gram. Notice also that we've cut the hammer cove of the bass hammers
deeper to reduce the mass difference between the bass and treble
section hammers. This compensates somewhat for the longer (and
therefore heavier) bass section hammer tails. These hammers were hung
on a Hamburg D we rebuilt late last year. It turned out to be one of
the most unsatisfactory rebuilding outcomes we have done in perhaps
the last decade. The piano was fine, but the client . . .

For those who haven't seen the piano, other links to images can be found at;

http://members.optusnet.com.au/kristieovers/st.mary's1.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/kristieovers/st.mary's2.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/kristieovers/st.mary's3.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/kristieovers/st.mary's4.jpg

While I, and some of my colleagues here in Sydney including David
Kinney and Geoffrey Pollard - the house technician from the Sydney
Conservatorium of Music, were most satisfied with the end result, the
head piano teacher of the college decided that he didn't believe the
piano 'sounded like a genuine Steinway' anymore. He also called in
alleged experts who were not only by his account leading pianists,
but were also Steinway owners. They apparently agreed with him. I
told him that he really should give the piano a chance for the
hammers to settle in. But like so many 'smart Alecs' who think they
know everything, but have no experience with a fine set of cold
pressed hammers, which admittedly don't knock your head off with
their brightness when new, he continued to bully me over the matter.
He even called in the local Steinway representative who pronounced
that the hammers weren't genuine Steinway (of course, they were
custom made by Abel - so what!), and furthermore he thought that they
might have been a bit lighter than the standard hammers. Fortunately,
having balanced the new hammer set, and having measured the original
hammers as a reference, I was able to email a pdf file of the hammer
weight spreadsheet to the college and the Steinway agent, which made
a mockery of the claims of the Steinway agent. Its now 20 weeks since
I did the final installation tuning and check over. Last week David
Kinney tuned the piano again for the college. David told me that the
piano has developed into a quite remarkable instrument. Still not one
positive word from the teacher (I won't hold my breath waiting).
Apparently David spent some time with him demonstrating the
characteristics of the piano. I wonder if he was listening, or
whether his eyes were glazed over as they seemed to be whenever I was
speaking with him. You can tell how delighted I am about this. It
upsets me to throw pearls before swine, especially when we are unable
to negotiate a fair return for our work because we are looked down
upon, as some sort of leper.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY