[CAUT] caut spam filter (was Re: [SPAM?? 59%] Re: WNG/CF parts)

Andy Rudoff andy at rudoff.com
Wed Jul 2 10:08:38 MDT 2008

The list software on the PTG server does occasionally hold posts if it finds
something questionable about them.  The most common reasons for this are large
attachments, messages with a large number of recipients, etc.  When this happens,
a member of the ECC does indeed take a look at the held post and either approve
it or reject it.

But we don't add anything to the subject line.

So what I think happened here is that a CAUT subscriber has software that
adds "[SPAM?? ...]" to the subject line of incoming messages, and that
subscriber then replied to the message, posting the modified subject line
back to everyone else.  All I can say about software like that is: yuck.
But anyway, that's most likely how the word SPAM got added to the thread.

-andy