[CAUT] University piano replacement program

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jul 2 10:03:45 MDT 2008

On Jul 2, 2008, at 5:45 AM, tony wrote:

> My experience is the more expensive the piano, the more delicate it
> is (more sensitive to humidity changes and less tuning stability. In
> a new piano, assuming the pinblock is tight, doesn't the board move
> more in a "high quality" piano with a thinner board designed for
> better tone? Is that necessary for the Practice room pianos? How
> frequently can you get to these pianos to tune them in a year?
> Doesn't the care & maintenance of the "Quality" Concert and Studio
> pianos constantly change you tuning plans and become priority?

	I don't know that tuning stability relative to humidity change is
related to "how expensive a piano is." I don't think thickness of the
board has much to do with it either. There do seem to be some models
that move more and faster in response to a humidity change, but I
haven't found that this is very predictable, and certainly not
relative to "high versus low quality/price point." I think the biggest
factor is idiosyncrasies of the particular stringing scale (and the
factor that leads to tuning instability may have other positive
effects).
	One thing that does seem to lead to a bit more tuning stability
sometimes is age - older boards and bridges maybe are less sensitive,
I suspect. Usually but not always this is accompanied by reduced tonal
output.
	How frequently can we get to practice pianos? Depends on our total
hours as opposed to number of pianos, and what priorities we set.
Concert instruments get highest priority, and get tuned very often,
because they need to be as near perfect as we can get them, every
single unison all the time. The number of tunings given to any
individual piano is dependent mostly on how critical it is, not on how
sensitive it is.
	Tuning stability is lower on my list than tone production and
quality, and action responsiveness. The piano needs to be capable of
making music. Tuning takes a lot of our time, but is not the most
important thing we do. An institution that focuses on number of
tunings to design its piano maintenance program needs to talk to
somebody who knows a bit about comprehensive service.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu