[CAUT] University piano replacement program

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jul 1 16:03:47 MDT 2008

Hi Tony,

Realistic plan replacement at UNL is a hard one to "sell".  We have many
Steinway and Mason &  Hamilin grands in our practice rooms.  Most of them
are 40-80 years old, but with new actions, key bushings, etc.  Replacing
them vs. fixing them is the reality of the university setting. We have to
actually see reality in that we can not just replace them with new pianos
even though we would love to do so. Performance pianos, of course, get the
most attention.  I am currently replacing an entire action on a 1956
Baldwin D which, still, will need a new soundboard, pinblock, and whole
nine yards, but we have to spread out the budget the best we can and this
piano is one of our 'concert' instruments.  We also have three Steinway
D's much newer and in excellent condition.  Every school has it's own
budget and by what Ive seen, we have a pretty good one, but still not what
would be considered "great".  The really great schools like Oberlin,
Julliard, etc probably have a great replacement program as they are
recognized as world famous.  For the main-stream university programs, I
would say that they only replace pianos when they just can't be worth the
investment.  I  regularly tune repair etc these instruments as they are
played 12-14 hours a day.  Now with summer here, I have a chance to get in
an try to fix the ongoing problems with certain pianos, but still have no
time to rebuild them.

Does this help??

Paul

"tony" <amastadonna at neo.rr.com>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
07/01/2008 03:55 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

<caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] University piano replacement program

I have a question........

In creating a "realistic" Piano replacement plan for approval by an
university administration,

What would you recommend the basic specifications of the practice room
pianos be?

How would you compare their importance to the school verses the studio and
performance instruments.

If you would need to "cut" would this be the natural place?

And how many times a year do you get to these pianos for tuning?

   Tony Mastadonna
Institutional Sales Consultant

    Cell-330-603-8843