[CAUT] Celesta

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jan 31 17:53:57 MST 2008

	Commenting on Don's remarks, typically you get awfully close to
blocking on a heavy touch/squeeze if you want good dynamic control on
one of these. There is no letoff or check. The hammers are striking
downwards, and are moving counter to a return spring. You need to be
able to get enough momentum to overcome the spring tension. The front
rail punching is all that stops the hammer being propelled from the
keystroke of the player. Once the key bottoms out, the hammer flies
free, and then bounces back. The closer you are to having the hammer
touching the tone bar when the key bottoms out, the more control the
player has, just like with a piano but more so (overcoming gravity is
easier than overcoming a spring regulated strong enough to return
against gravity).
	So a fine regulation will come as close as you can to blocking, and
it's the tech's guess how heavy handed the player will be. People used
to the average badly prepped instrument will tend to be heavy-handed
(being used to "cyphers" - notes that don't speak when similar
keystrokes are used), and that could be a problem. But a well-
regulated celesta can really be a nice, expressive musical instrument.
The one that was brought to Nashville was a case in point. If blocking
is a problem, the solution is simple: add a fr punching or two (other
regulation being good).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico