[CAUT] Celesta

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Thu Jan 31 13:15:25 MST 2008

Eric,

I looked over a new Schiedmayer Celesta at the NAMM show a couple of
weeks back.  It was a beautiful sounding instrument with (if I remember
right) 4 octaves range, but the action did not seem well regulated to
me.  I'm not too knowledgeable about these, but you could make many
notes block if you pressed hard after playing.  I don't think it was
meant to be that way . . .

I could see inside, and the action seemed more complex than necessary,
but I assumed that this is because of the arrangement of rather large
tone bars in this big instrument.

The really, really nice tone is what stayed in my mind.

Sorry, I haven't seen a Yamaha celesta.

Don Mannino

  _____