[CAUT] bridge cap sanding

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 16:54:49 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/23/2008 5:28:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Jfarris at mail.utexas.edu writes:

Here at  UT Austin, when restringing a piano, we replace agraffes and
replace  bridge pins. Standard bridge procedure includes, scraping off
the old DAG,  sanding the caps, gluesizing the pin holes, re-notching
the bridge, etc.  Here's my question/comment. When sanding, the old
string groove is not  completely removed, but it is minimized
significantly. When I'm not trying  to alter downbearing, just
reproducing what was there (mostly), is that  OK? In other words, is
leaving a little groove a problem? Is removing it  completely more of
a problem or more desirable? Y'all have fun with this  one.

Thanks,
--
Jeff Farris

Hi, Jeff -

I think there is no need to remove the string grooves.  Years of  pressure
from the strings have compressed the wood of the cap slightly to create  the
grooves.  That compressed wood at the bottom of the grooves is very  slightly
more dense and very slightly more stable than fresh wood.  The  angled bridge
pins have a clamping effect as they trap the strings against the  bridge.  This
effect would be very slightly enhanced by the 'form fit' of  the grooves.  All
these factors are minute, but to the extent they are  there, they are probably
working in our favor.

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com