[CAUT] bridge cap sanding

Jeff Farris Jfarris at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 23 15:17:50 MST 2008

Hey list,

Here at UT Austin, when restringing a piano, we replace agraffes and
replace bridge pins. Standard bridge procedure includes, scraping off
the old DAG, sanding the caps, gluesizing the pin holes, re-notching
the bridge, etc. Here's my question/comment. When sanding, the old
string groove is not completely removed, but it is minimized
significantly. When I'm not trying to alter downbearing, just
reproducing what was there (mostly), is that OK? In other words, is
leaving a little groove a problem? Is removing it completely more of
a problem or more desirable? Y'all have fun with this one.

Thanks,
--
Jeff Farris
Piano Technician