[CAUT] Care and feeding of stage grands

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Jan 19 16:29:32 MST 2008

I do lacquer touch up regularly - black lacquer and an artist brush
(we don't have any Poly). Small brush, very short bristles, for good
control. Essentially I make the bare wood black, applying just enough
material for the purpose. At some point (every couple years), I do a
bit of wool waxing, which may include some wet sanding if there is too
much surface variance from touchup buildup. But just applying the
black lacquer makes the pianos look a LOT better from the audience.
Costs no more than a quart of lacquer from the auto parts store and 10
to 15 minutes of my time once or twice a year.
	Lids I haven't had too much trouble with. Our hall managers have been
good about instructing their student help (after getting instruction
from me). I have them place padding between the hinge sections (lid
and rim) and the positioning pin immediately after removing the pins,
and reverse procedure when replacing. And they aren't TOO bad about
keeping the inside of the covers folded inside (I explain that the
cover isn't there to look pretty itself, it's there to keep the piano
pretty. Let it get all dusty and grimy, rather than pick up dust and
grime and transfer to the piano. Better yet, never throw it on the
floor <G>).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico